Children at Holy Cross are assessed on an ongoing basis to ensure that we understand where they are with their learning and how best to move them on. This assessment is undertaken by class teachers and support staff through a wide variety of methods such as observations, discussions with children, questioning, marking work, group and independent work, and some routine tests such as spellings and times tables.
Each summer children in specific year groups have results of statutory assessments sent from our School to the local authority and the Department for Education:
- Children in Reception Class are assessed against the Early Years Foundation Stage profile.
- Children in Year 1 undertake a phonics assessment.
- Children in Year 2 sit Key Stage 1 SATs (Standard Assessment Tests) and are assessed in reading, GPS (Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling) writing and maths.
- Children in Year 4 will undertake a multiplication tables check due to begin in summer 2021.
- Children in Year 6 sit Key Stage 2 SATs (Standard Assessment Tests) in reading, writing, GPS (Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling) and maths.
As a result of Covid-19 lockdown and the partial closure of schools during 2020 and 2021 children across the country did not undertake the expected assessments. Therefore there is currently no published data after 2019. Our summer 2019 data can be found using the following link.